Examples of Excelencia recognizes programs at various levels for their work accelerating Latino student success. Learn more about these levels below.
Programs may be recognized as Programs to Watch, Examples of Excelencia Finalists, or the Example of Excelencia in their respective category (associate, baccalaureate, graduate, and community-based organizations).
Programs to Watch
Excelencia in Education recognizes innovative, up-and-coming programs that have already made some positive impact on the success of their Latino students and are growing their evidence of effectiveness as Programs to Watch.
Learn about previous Programs to Watch here.
Programs recognized as Programs to Watch are eligible to apply for Examples of Excelencia every year until they are recognized as the Example of Excelencia in their respective category.
Examples of Excelencia Finalists
Excelencia in Education identifies standout programs that are accelerating Latino student success as Examples of Excelencia Finalists in each category (associate, baccalaureate, graduate, and community-based organizations).
Learn about last year's Examples of Excelencia Finalists here.
Programs recognized as Examples of Excelencia Finalists are eligible to apply for Examples of Excelencia every year until they are recognized as the Example of Excelencia in their respective category.
Examples of Excelencia
Excelencia selects one exemplary program across the associate, baccalaureate, graduate, and community-based organization categories as the annual Example of Excelencia in each respective category.
Learn about last year's Examples of Excelencia here.
Promotion of All Recognized Programs
Examples of Excelencia recognized programs at all levels receive promotion that will help elevate their ongoing efforts. Learn more about what each level receives below.
All recognized programs receive:
- National recognition by Excelencia in Education.
- Inclusion in the annual publication of our What Works for Latino Students in Higher Education Compendium.
In addition, Finalists receive:
- Inclusion in our Growing What Works Database—the only national online, searchable database that serves to promote effective institutional practices for Latino students.
- Complimentary one-year enrollment in Excelencia in Action—our national network taking action to accelerate Latino student success.
- Program recognition by their respective member of Congress through Excelencia’s outreach.
The Examples of Excelencia receive all of the above and:
- A $5,000 financial contribution to further sustain programmatic efforts.
Our program team will also connect regularly with recognized programs to provide relevant opportunities and connections that strengthen and facilitate learning among program practitioners accelerating Latino student success. We follow up every 2 to 3 years with recognized programs to receive updated program information. This outreach supports further program opportunities for:
- Inclusion in research & publications.
- Programming offered through our Excelencia in Action network.